Sunday 6 May 2012

Day 3 - Why a spoon cousin?

Woke up late today, but we decided to hit up Sherwood Forest anyways before hitting Liverpool. There wasn't any parking in the Sherwood Forest Visitors Centre, so we turned around to park at the Arts & Crafts Centre. As we were parking a nice old man said we could park in the Cricket Members lot as there wasn't a match on. This proved to be awesome as we were right by the entrance and we didn't have to pay for parking!




I am so glad that the other parking lot was full because there was a full blown Medieval Faire going on eeeee! Walking down I could hear the clack of wooden practice swords, thuds of arrows, iron ringing on anvils, and the smell of campfire. Simply put I was ecstatic and in heaven :) The first stall we came to was selling home made cider, ginger beer, and barley wine. Very tasty stuff. The next stall had swords (droooool, if only I could've taken one home), jewelery, clothing, cutlery, goblets and plates, furnishings, and armour. I bought a pewter goblet made in 1779, a horn spoon, and four replica coins from the 12th century. Now I have my own goblet and spoon for feasts at home. After that we spent a few minutes watching the blacksmith stoke his fire to red hot colas and hammer some iron. Right across from the blacksmith was a lovely stall full of clothing. I decided to treat myself and  bought a dress and a hood. Now I can pretend to be Maid Marion anytime I want haha. It was getting on past 1:00pm so we spent only a few moments watching some archery and a man hacking away at a practice post with double swords.

Man skinning a rabbit

Pushing on we began our drive towards Liverpool. At last we came to a real road! The M62 was just like the highways back home and a dream to drive on. Three lanes of very fast driving made the trip half an hour shorter than google maps anticipated. On average I was going between 70-85 miles per hour, and even then I was getting passed often by BMW's (surprise surprise) and the occasional Porsche. The only frustrating bit was when we hit a construction zone and had to do 50 for about 20 minutes.
My dress and hood (needs to be taken in)

Getting in to Liverpool we easily found our new Hotel The Alicia. Inside it's a beautiful converted Victorian home. Unfortunately we'd arrived too late to hit up the Beatles Museum. Instead we took a cab down to Albert Dock and visited the Beatles gift shop. It was awesome inside with tons of pictures of the Beatles childhood as well as their adult years. It was pretty cool to listen to their music where they first got their start in the Cavern Club. Next we walked around Albert Dock looking for a restaurant. We stumbled upon a restaurant called Baby Blue and had a lovely dinner overlooking one of the old water ports.
I totally agree with this sign

Catching a cab we came back to the hotel for an early night since we have to be up early for to leave for Cadbury World!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the Cadbury World pictures! :)

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also agree with the ice cream sign. I cant wait to see all the things you bought! And if your Maid Marion, does that make me Robin Hood? if so, i say call Joe frier Tuck, lol

    ReplyDelete