Saturday 12 May 2012

Day 8 - Kensington Doll Festival

Upon waking up we had breakfast in our room before heading off to the Kensington Doll Festival. We walked south across Hyde Park into Kensington passing Kensington Palace at the far end. It was amazing to think that we were walking through the old hunting grounds of King Henry VIII and where countless famous people throughout history had strolled. Once we`d passed Kensington Palace we passed the embassies for Romania and Israel. Romania had flowers and Israel had three armed guards with sub machine guns.
Just a block up from our hotel is where James Barrie used to live (author of Peter Pan)
My spoils from the Kensington Doll Festival (sheets, four books, two wall lights, a copper kettle, a lion head knocker, an outdoor light, fire implements) and randomly two signs I bought in Portobello Road.

Upon reaching Kensington Town Hall we stood in line for a few minutes since we`d arrived before the Festival started. There were people from Canada, Germany, France, China, Japan, and Spain around us chattering away. Once inside there were three levels of shops to visit. One of the shops there was a company from Toronto I`d ordered from before. I bought two lights from them and they were very happy to be able to process my credit card in Canadian. Everywhere I turned there was exquisite furniture and miniatures. One place had a replica medieval castle complete with working fireplaces, catapults, and swords on the walls. I spent several hours wandering oogling everything and buying a few additions for my house. I even got a few ideas as to how I`ll do my Phantom of the Opera Lair when I get to it.
Big Ben Burger

Mushroom and Chicken Pie

Leaving the festival we headed to the Prince of Wales Pub (over 300 years old) for some lunch. I`ve gotten my Mum addicted to Crabbie`s Alcoholic Ginger Beer haha which we enjoyed with our lunch. After lunch we headed back to the hotel to rest and change before going to see Billy Elliott! We caught the tube at Lancaster Gate, just up the street from our hotel, and headed to Victoria Palace Theatre. The theatre was exactly what I pictured with its red velvet seats and drapes. The play was excellent and had wonderful dancing and singing. The best bit was the end where everyone came out in tutus and danced a Vegas type act.

Our row



1 comment:

  1. that mini castle sounds awesome. i hope you got a picture. your going to have so much to show when you get back, i cant wait! i always love hearing about peoples travels!

    ReplyDelete